Software Engineer - Observability Practitioner - #941789
- We are on a Digital transformation journey at the iconic IKEA
- The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting our applications
- We are now in need for a passionate and innovative engineer who loves working in an agile environment
- You will get the opportunity to influence and expand our Observability Enablement and feature development for our OpenSource Observability solutions based on the Grafana stack ensuring automation and top class availability
- Our Context team is at the heart of Operational Intelligence supporting every engineering team at IKEA
- The team builds the Observability solution for operational metrics, centralized logging, and distributed tracing for every team at IKEA across multiple global data centers, private and public cloud (GCP, Azure, Alibaba), and many other smaller regions
- We believe you are a passionate engineer with 7+ years of experience in software engineering with proficiency in at multiple programming languages and Cloud management techniques.
- You understand how Observability solutions can be implemented and built to maximize the value for application and infrastructure team insights.
- As a person you are innovative and work towards putting modern architecture and requirements into place.
- It suits you to work cross functionally both independently and interdependently, with the support of a vast software engineering network and agile methods.
- Experience from DevOps for applications and infrastructure is a must.
- Experience with Observability management products (Grafana, Splunk, Elastic, SumoLogic, etc ) is a must and working with cloud management at scale is beneficial.
- Formal qualifications in computer science, software engineering, or any engineering equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience as software engineer with similar level of experience in the specific tech stack for the area.
- Minimum 5 years experience working in agile/iterative software development teams with a DevOps working setup and with an emphasis on self-organisation and delivery to agreed commitments.
- Verifiable code contribution to opensource projects.
- Strong analytical skills, experience in debugging, code optimization, test
- Demonstrable experience with cloud computing environments
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Knowledge of IKEA Brand, culture, values and way of working
This comes natural for you:
- Ability to encourage simplicity, efficiency, ownership and accountability
- Ability to actively acquire new knowledge and skills and champion new methods, digital systems and processes to improve performance.
- Ability to lead in change of direction as appropriate based on new ideas, approaches, and strategies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate, network and build strong relations with team members and stakeholders.
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts and processes clearly at an appropriate level to a wide range of audiences, including team members, stakeholders and suppliers.
- Ability to understand the complexity of IKEA business and the role of technology as an integrated part of the business.
- Work experience / hands-on skills in the following areas will be an advantage:
- Open Telemetry instrumentation
- Service Level Objective, Service Level Metric and Monitoring configuration
- Availability and Capacity management in hybrid deployments
- Use of the Grafana stack with Loki, Tempo Mimir
- Great understanding of compute, network, and storage infrastructures in cloud environments
- Understanding of the value stream of Observability solutions from development to operation deployment.
- Practical experience of analysis of operational metrics, traces and logs related to enterprise deployments in Cloud and onPrem Platforms, containerized (Docker, Kubernetes) deployments and CI/CD pipelines.
- Work planning, tracking and documentation using primarily Jira/Confluence and GitHub.
- A big plus is a verifiable code contribution to opensource projects.
- Together with the team, you will be responsible for the architecture and continued development of our logging, monitoring
and event management offerings.
- Following market trends to explore, research and ensure we always stay on top to create impact and make a difference to all teams at IKEA.
In-house development of plugins:
o User access model (sharing dashboards)
o Federated queries (allow data sharing)
o Driving inner/outer source practice
- As an Observability partitioner, you will collaborate with our colleagues in Operational Intelligence to build and deliver Observability solutions for complex project requests
- You will also work with product APIs for integration in our CI/CD tool chain both on-prem, private and public cloud
- Lead and promote good software engineering practices within an agile/iterative development approach in order to improve time to market and fulfill business needs
- Onboard, coach and mentor engineers in order to secure transfer of competence and a high performing team
- Design and educate other engineers in ways of working, encouraging good practices to meet consumer expectations on Product or Service delivery
- Take responsibility for cooperation and alignment with key stakeholders within Ingka and Inter-IKEA Systems with interdependencies towards Group Digital to develop Product/Service design and technical roadmaps
- Lead and coach in change activities in different environments in order to secure functionality and availability
- Support design specifications and ensure that Products or Services are aligned, working closely together with other functions to ensure end-to-end business delivery
- Support code-reviews to ensure technical feasibility and that solutions are optimized for speed, scalability and reusability